[OSM-legal-talk] Using Google Street View to perform "virtual survey"

Paul Norman penorman at mac.com
Sun Apr 6 00:37:21 UTC 2014

The Google TOS restrictions on use[1] prohibit "[using] the Products to
create a database of places or other local listings information." My
recollection is that previous versions of their terms contained similar
provisions, but were not as clear.

Using Street View as you describe would definitely be a violation of
Google's TOS. When it happens the Data Working Group redacts the data to
remove it from the OpenStreetMap database.

[1]: https://www.google.com/intl/en_ALL/help/terms_maps.html