[OSM-legal-talk] Upload of copyrighted map images from OSM to Facebook

Martin Koppenhoefer dieterdreist at gmail.com
Tue Apr 15 17:35:06 UTC 2014

> What do you suggest, Martin?
>>

> contact Facebook and if they are not willing to make an exception to their
> terms we'll have to delete our accounts there (seems to be the only way to
> remove images according to their terms). In case of the latter I'd make a
> public announcement on the blog explaining the reasons why OSM cannot be on
> Facebook and hope for some publicity ;-)

Like often there are also other options:
1) ignore the issue because the publicity we get from Facebook is more
important than insisting on licenses (point not proven yet).
2) decide that this is covered by fair use (but then everyone else who uses
a single map image from osm might also say this is fair use, similar to
what OSM does on Facebook, and this would effectively make the license a
farce).
3) ask the rights holders of the map style if they are willing to dual
license (cc-by-sa and facebook) or change the license to something that
doesn't require attribution or share alike (e.g. cc0).

an maybe more. From these options I'd only see 3) as meaningful.

Cheers,
Martin