[OSM-legal-talk] Review of IndianaMap as potential datasource

Luis Villa lvilla at wikimedia.org
Fri Apr 18 19:07:38 UTC 2014

On Fri, Apr 18, 2014 at 10:02 AM, Mike Dupont <
jamesmikedupont at googlemail.com> wrote:

> the wikipedia has a nice otrs system, I supposed you could use it
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:OTRS
>
> so let them sign something that allows the data to be used by wikipedia
> and that should cover osm as well.

I'm not aware of data donations being made through OTRS. Not impossible to
do, of course, but it would have to be done carefully if it were actually
going to be useful for both Wikidata and OSM (given the licensing
differences).

Lydia, do you know of any cases where contributions have been made through
OTRS to Wikidata?

[I thought OSM already had a procedure for this, but I couldn't find it, so
I thought I'd reply to clarify that our process may or may not be enough.]

Luis

> On Fri, Apr 18, 2014 at 10:01 AM, Eric Jiang <eric at doublemap.com> wrote:
>
>> Greetings,
>> I am interested in better data for Indiana, USA, and would like to
>> have someone else double-check that there are no legal/policy issues
>> with using GIS data from IndianaMap[1] in OSM. I talked to one of
>> their employees over the phone, and he said that the data is
>> completely public, with no usage or attribution requirements or
>> restrictions, and specifically confirmed that using it in OSM is OK.
>> Terms on the metadata for what I'm interested in seem to say the
>> same[2].
>>
>> Basically, I want to get a confirmation from more experienced OSM
>> contributors before I explore the feasibility of importing any of this
>> data. There might be general issues that I'm not aware of yet.
>>
>> [1] http://www.indianamap.org/resources.php
>> [2]
>> http://maps.indiana.edu/metadata/Reference/Land_Parcels_County_IDHS.html
>>
>> Thanks!
>> --
>> Eric Jiang, DoubleMap
>> Suite 300W | 748 E. Bates Street | Indianapolis, IN 46202
>> www.doublemap.com | Office +1(855) 463-6655

> --
> James Michael DuPont
> Member of Free Libre Open Source Software Kosova http://www.flossk.org
> Saving Wikipedia(tm) articles from deletion
> http://SpeedyDeletion.wikia.com
> Mozilla Rep https://reps.mozilla.org/u/h4ck3rm1k3

Luis Villa
Deputy General Counsel
Wikimedia Foundation
415.839.6885 ext. 6810

NOTICE: *This message may be confidential or legally privileged. If you
have received it by accident, please delete it and let us know about the
mistake. As an attorney for the Wikimedia Foundation, for legal/ethical
reasons I cannot give legal advice to, or serve as a lawyer for, community
members, volunteers, or staff members in their personal capacity.*