[OSM-legal-talk] ODBL and imports

Simon Poole simon at poole.ch
Fri Apr 25 14:56:18 UTC 2014

Am 25.04.2014 16:17, schrieb Pieren:

> So, you mean that the main objection to import ODBL data is a future
> licence change. But I remember some past messages here or elsewhere
> that the licence process is so heavy and requires so high acceptance
> that a licence change is almost impossible... (note that this argument
> would invalidate all types of third party licences and finally all
> imports).

Naturally any import that is not CC0 licenced or is PD has the potential
to cause problems if and when a further licence change is considered.

But this is a continuum from "would cause a lot of issues" to "more or
less OK". For example changing to a licence that does not support and
require attribution would essentially cause a massacre and is unlikely
to ever be seriously considered. But as a consequence I personally would
consider CC by and other licences that essentially only require some
kind of attribution as not tying our hands more than they already are
and insofar as unproblematic.

As already said, this is only my personal opinion.

Simon