[OSM-legal-talk] Attribution

Steve Coast steve at asklater.com
Mon Apr 28 22:57:47 UTC 2014

Hi Alex

I think it comes down to finding some data to support your argument about share-alike, given that there are so many companies which have no problem using OSM as it stands, and who could potentially lose out under a change.

There’s a lot of silent evidence out there; nobody is going to do a talk titled “why we have no problems with the license and everything is fine”[1]. Whereas, if a license change was going to benefit a company or organization rather than the whole ecosystem of companies, you could imagine it would create a lot of incentive to make a big fuss about how it should radically change, rather than them having to pay for a proprietary map to do whatever they wanted to do.

Besides, we already have large map datasets without attribution or share-alike. For example, TIGER. But there’s a reason nobody gives back  to that or builds anything around it: There is no sustaining share-alike feature. Instead, companies just take TIGER and use it commercially, closing off their fixes to anyone else. You could imagine someone doing that to OSM if the license was altered to remove share-alike, so I think we should keep it as is, for the benefit of everyone.

I think how you frame it as making it “more open” is very clever and insightful, but I’d frame is as “alive” or “dead”. Today, OSM is alive with people and community. If the license changed to help just one company, you could imagine it being dead like how the proprietary map user contributed systems work. Facebook vs. Google+. Alive vs. Dead.

Someone could prove me wrong by building an open community around public domain data, but it would probably be hard work and take a while. Perhaps there is one that exists somewhere, compared to all of the ones that exist around GPL or CCBYSA?

We should definitely spend more time on the geocoding interpretation stuff though.

Best

Steve

[1] - Although Eric Rodenbeck’s slide at SOTM US was great: “We don’t care about the license”