[OSM-legal-talk] Attribution

derrick nehrenberg derricknehrenberg at gmail.com
Tue Apr 29 18:34:05 UTC 2014

I have heard and read some describe OSM as 'data'. I usually remain on the
sidelines as an observer, but Richard W.'s comment reminded me of something
I have thought more than once. OSM is open data, but I think that is an
inadequate definition, because it is much more than that. It is a
"community of open data contributors" as well. In my view, share-alike is
an integral requirement for joining the community. Without it is certainly
conceivable that the data would grow bigger and better, but I can also
envision how dropping the requirement would eventually lead to the demise
of the community. However, I do not think it's a case of data on the one
hand and community on the other. They are the same hand. And, so I think it
is important to remember the community, which is  largely a silent bunch.
It's the community that brought OSM to the big data dance...