[OSM-legal-talk] Attribution

Tobias Knerr osm at tobias-knerr.de
Wed Apr 30 21:35:10 UTC 2014

On 30.04.2014 19:37, Rob Myers wrote:
> On 30/04/14 03:18 AM, Tobias Knerr wrote:
>>
>> But we have to judge a license based on its actual effects, not the
>> original intention. What annoys me, for example, is when we require
>> people to publish data that we wouldn't even want if they offered it.
>
> The users of the data may want it. The license exists to benefit them,
> not (just) OSM.
>
> If the actual effects worked against this then yes there would be a problem.

I think there is quite a bit of data that will, with high likelihood,
never be of use to anyone. That's especially true for byproducts of the
creation of a "produced work".

But your argument about also shows that there are mappers who ask for a
lot more than just "giving data back when you fix things". Thus it would
be foolish for a data consumer to assume they only have to follow that
spirit, as much as I wish that was enough.