[OSM-legal-talk] YouTube videos

Robert Whittaker (OSM lists) robert.whittaker+osm at gmail.com
Fri Aug 8 16:35:00 UTC 2014

On 8 August 2014 09:48, Simon Poole <simon at poole.ch> wrote:
> CC-BY is not per se compatible. We need (and I believe this is still the
> case with 4.0) explicit acknowledgement that the way that we provide
> attribution is OK and that we do not provide downstream attribution for
> individual sources.

Getting a bit off-topic, but it seems quite a few people don't realise
this about CC-By (and also some other 'open' licences). I think it
would be a really good idea if there could be some sort of official
lists of "known acceptable licences for third-party data" and "known
unacceptable licences for third-party data" either on the wiki or on
the OSMF site, that people could be pointed to. Even if the acceptable
list is extremely short, explicitly listing incompatible licences
would help get across the point that care is needed, and hopefully
help people avoid accidentally making use of incompatible sources.

(At least I don't think such lists exist at the moment -- the closest
I could find is
http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Import/Guidelines#Make_sure_data_license_is_OK.
However, the issue doesn't just affect imports, but also other sources
that people may want to use on an ad-hoc or manual basis.)

Robert.

--
Robert Whittaker