[OSM-legal-talk] Updated geocoding community guideline proposal

Alex Barth alex at mapbox.com
Mon Aug 25 04:08:16 UTC 2014

How would the Collective Database approach work if the OSM Database must
remain unmodified to be part of a Collective Database?

The definition of Collective Database seems to be tailored to use cases
where the OpenStreetMap database *in unmodified form* is part of a larger
database. I can't quite conjure up a real world example, but the ODbL is
pretty clear about this:

> “Collective Database” – Means this Database in unmodified form as part of
a collection of independent databases in themselves that together are
assembled into a collective whole. A work that constitutes a Collective
Database will not be considered a Derivative Database. - See more at:
http://opendatacommons.org/licenses/odbl/1-0/#sthash.mDtnZAPO.dpuf