[OSM-legal-talk] Attribution Requirements

Simon Poole simon at poole.ch
Tue Jan 14 09:54:47 UTC 2014

Am 13.01.2014 13:17, schrieb Jonathan Harley:

> given that the OSM attribution is given equal prominence with their
> own Terms and their imagery attribution. (By the way, Alex and Eric
> from MapBox are members of this mailing list.) Surely "should be given
> equal prominence with the map copyright holder's own attribution"
> would be a better principle than "put it in the corner".

The relevant section of the ODbL is 4.3, I quote "You must include a
notice associated with the Produced Work reasonably calculated to make
any Person that uses, views, accesses, interacts with, or is otherwise
exposed to the Produced Work aware that Content was obtained from the
Database". Note it says "any Person" not "Persons that are curious
enough to click on a link"..... :-). For practical reasons we are
already suggesting a far more compact attribution string than suggested
there for online maps and while we currently are not explicit about
(real, not hypothetical) small screen devices you are unlikely going to
find us complaining about reasonable solutions if you are really running
out of screen real estate.

Given that we have roughly 1'500'000 contracts that restrict us to
distributing the data under the two explicitly named licences in the
contributor terms, we cannot depart so far from the ODbL with our
attribution suggestions  that the result would amount to a different
licence.

Forgetting the legal issues, as long as we are not in Googles shoes
where the default assumption is that any on screen map is from them, we
need a clear mark of some kind on every use of OSM to drive the message
home from a marketing perspective. At least people using OpenStreetMap
data must be aware of it, and not as I've experienced a number of times,
flatly refuse that this is the case.

Back to the question of if we are not asking too much, a IMHO good
example of what we want http://www.mozilla.org/en-US/contact/spaces/ (a
MapBox customer nota bene) , a example with a map from bing
http://corporate.walmart.com/our-story/our-business/locations/ , an
example with a map from google
http://www.baesystems.com/our-company-rzz/our-locations (switch to
satellite and zoom in a bit). I think the conclusion must be that we are
not asking for something unreasonable.

Simon