[OSM-legal-talk] Updated geocoding community guideline proposal

Alex Barth alex at mapbox.com
Fri Jul 11 23:09:33 UTC 2014

We're 100% in grey territory on geocoding and you can keep reading the
ODbL in circles.

> “Produced Work” – a work (such as an image, audiovisual material, text, or sounds) resulting from using the whole or a Substantial part of the Contents (via a search or other query) from this Database, a Derivative Database, or this Database as part of a Collective Database. - See more at: http://opendatacommons.org/licenses/odbl/1.0/#sthash.Fuel2Ngv.dpuf

This definition does not preclude data to be a work as long as it has
been created by a query, and the example in parenthesis are not
exhaustive.

What I'm looking for a is a clear interpretation by the community,
supported OSMF, an interpretation that is a permissive reading of the
ODbL on geocoding to unlock use cases. If there's share alike on data
coming out of a geocoder you can't use it practically for geocoding.
Many data set ups are just too complex. This is about unlocking
geocoding on a broader level. More use cases = more incentives to
improve data.

I'd love to use OSM for geocoding again with more legal certainty at
Mapbox and build further on a feedback loop back into OSM address and
polygon data and I'd love that to be true for other users of OSM for
geocoding too. We need to build up momentum for making OSM viable for
geocoding. Clarifying that SA does not apply to results produced by a
geocoder would do that.

There's a problem with share alike and geocoding, let's make it go away.

Alex