[OSM-legal-talk] Updated geocoding community guideline proposal

Alex Barth alex at mapbox.com
Sun Jul 13 12:57:55 UTC 2014

On Fri, Jul 11, 2014 at 8:30 PM, Paul Norman <penorman at mac.com> wrote:
> On Jul 11, 2014, at 04:11 PM, Alex Barth <alex at mapbox.com> wrote:
>
> What I'm looking for a is a clear interpretation by the community,
> supported OSMF, an interpretation that is a permissive reading of the
> ODbL on geocoding to unlock use cases.
>

> Guidelines need to be accurate and supported by the ODbL and shouldn't be
> advanced to support a particular viewpoint and the process is not a way to
> weaken share-alike.

Agreed that guidelines need to be accurate and supported by ODbL. In
terms of what recommended interpretation we put forward that's a
strategic decision we should take in the interest of OpenStreetMap.

> I'm working my way through the examples.
>
>> Consider a chain retailer's database of store locations with store
>> names and addresses (street, house number, ZIP, state/province, country).
>> The addresses are used to search corresponding latitude / longitude
>> coordinates in OpenStreetMap. The coordinates are stored next to the
>> store locations in the store database (forward Geocoding).
>> OpenStreetMap.org's Nominatim based geocoder is used. The store locations
>> are being exposed to the public on a store locator map using Bing maps.
>> The geocoded store locations database remains fully proprietary to the
>> chain retailer. The map carries a notice "(c) OpenStreetMap contributors"
>> linking to http://www.openstreetmap.org/copyright.
>
> In this example, the database powering the geocoder is a derived database.
> The geocoding results are produced works, which are then collected into what
> forms a derivative database as part of a collective database. This
> derivative database is then used to create a produced work (the locator
> map).

What exactly constitutes the derivative db part in the collective db
of this interpretation? How would you think about future additions to
the collective db that might not come from OSM?