[OSM-legal-talk] Updated geocoding community guideline proposal

Martijn van Exel m at rtijn.org
Mon Jul 14 15:15:52 UTC 2014

On Mon, Jul 14, 2014 at 8:44 AM, Alex Barth <alex at mapbox.com> wrote:
> On Sun, Jul 13, 2014 at 10:30 AM, Stephan Knauss <osm at stephans-server.de>
> wrote:
>>
>> Only when you start to use the process to systematically recreate a
>> database from the process the ODbL kicks in.
>

> This is also how I'm reading this. Obviously the sticky point is the
> definition of what's a database in this sentence: "systematically recreate a
> database from the process". You can't abuse geocoding to recreate
> OpenStreetMap without triggering share alike.

The definition of 'substantial' is key here, isn't it? In one of the
examples I added, the result of OSM-based geocoding actions would
potentially be stored on a client in a collection of 'favorites'
together with other favorites that may be the result of tainted
geocoding. There's really two questions here - 1) is this collection
of favorites 'substantial' and 2) does this mixed storage trigger
share alike in an of itself?

--
Martijn van Exel
http://oegeo.wordpress.com/