[OSM-legal-talk] Updated geocoding community guideline proposal

Tadeusz Knapik tadek12 at gmail.com
Mon Jul 28 10:07:16 UTC 2014

Hello,

> Accuracy is what matters, not skimping on a few $. We have dozens of large
> companies like this that would love to more tightly integrate their
> internal data with OSM via goecoding, but because of unclear guidelines are
> blocked.

Well, in fact (IMHO) there's no unclear guidelines, as the license is quite
clear in terms of Derivative Database licensing. Whether or not is it is
subject to change, at this moment (ODbL v1.0) a Derivative Database has to
be an ODbL database. What I'm not clear is if "community guidelines" are
strong enough to able to change it without touching the license itself
Or, trying to consider a database with geocoding data a Produced Work makes
me wonder what type of substantial (I guess we're talking country-wide at
least?) extract of the whole database _isn't_ a Produced Work anymore.
Regards,

Tadeusz