[OSM-legal-talk] Attribution

Simon Poole simon at poole.ch
Sat May 3 09:22:39 UTC 2014

Am 03.05.2014 10:26, schrieb Jukka Rahkonen:
> ............................ And by looking at the list of Top
> users editing over the past in [1], imports has nowadays a huge importance
> for the project - I was here, sitting in my own armchair. I did this import.

Since I'm with the project I can't remember any time when import
accounts (even when they were not explicitly declared as such) did not
populate the top positions in that list, which given the nature of the
beast is not a surprise and doesn't indicate importance or lack of such
for the project.

Actually I am fairly sure that imports have diminished in relative
volume and importance, given the extremely large (and some times
extremely bad) imports of the past when we had far less data in total
(adding a couple of million of addresses is peanuts in comparison).

In any case, I can argue that we have the moral and ethical obligation
to provide attribution for all sources that have contributed to OSM,
regardless of third party data or individual mappers by requiring a
clear and obvious notice pointing to OSM and contributors.

Simon