[OSM-legal-talk] The edges of share-alike on data Re: Attribution

Jean-Marc Liotier jm at liotier.org
Wed May 7 08:10:48 UTC 2014

On 07/05/2014 08:20, Simon Poole wrote:
> [..] Does it depend on how the match OSM parking
> lot id - proprietary parking lot id is done ?

In this thread, we have seen a few mentions of the implementation as the
ultimate factor in discriminating the resulting database between
derivative and collective. Isn't that going to result in hypocritical
implementations exploiting the letter of the license but not its spirit
? Shouldn't the decision be taken by looking at the data itself and how
it combines at a functional level ? For example, would asking whether
the external dataset can stand on its own be a relevant question in
clarifying a situation ?