[OSM-legal-talk] Community Guidelines (was Re: Attribution)

Luis Villa lvilla at wikimedia.org
Wed May 7 23:27:14 UTC 2014

On Sat, May 3, 2014 at 7:54 AM, Michael Collinson <mike at ayeltd.biz> wrote:

> We also have a number of issues that are very immature in terms of
> constructing a useful guideline.  What we have been lacking, with some
> notable exceptions, is data users prepared to give a real use case that
> they can share in a reasonable level of detail.  Being able to deal with
> concrete rather than myriad hypothetical cases makes progress much faster.
> If you are user or potential user of OSM data, do share real-world issues
> here. Or, contact us at legal at osmfoundation.org. We can handle
> commercial-in-confidence provided that the end result is shareable publicly
> and applies to all equally within the parameters of our license.

I would suggest that writing down and working through even basic,
non-detailed use cases would likely help clarify a lot of the Guidelines.
Even if all they do is result in saying "it depends", explaining what it
depends on can be helpful to everyone.

For example, to kickstart the geocoding Guideline, it would probably be
great to start with some of the basic examples/use cases from the mailing
list discussion last year:
https://lists.openstreetmap.org/pipermail/legal-talk/2013-June/007553.htmland
https://lists.openstreetmap.org/pipermail/legal-talk/2013-June/007554.html

Which isn't to say that people shouldn't describe detailed use cases :)
Just that a lot of progress could be made by walking through more basic
ones as well.

Luis

--
Luis Villa
Deputy General Counsel

NOTICE: *This message may be confidential or legally privileged. If you
have received it by accident, please delete it and let us know about the
mistake. As an attorney for the Wikimedia Foundation, for legal/ethical
reasons I cannot give legal advice to, or serve as a lawyer for, community
members, volunteers, or staff members in their personal capacity.*