[OSM-legal-talk] Using geocoding results in an app

Marcel Kühn kuehn.marcel at freenet.de
Wed May 28 00:16:14 UTC 2014

Hello everybody,

I've been looking through the archive of the mailing list, yet haven't
found a definite answer to this. I'm building an app in which the users
can fill in address information for their own or other locations. This
address information needs to be converted to lat / loon coordinates,
which are then saved in the database. I've currently planned on using
mapquest for the geocoding, which uses OSM data.

So, here's my question: Do I have to make the geocoded data (addresses +
lat / lon coordinates) available as a download? If so I'm afraid I have
to look for other ways to geocode my data / ditch the app since I guess
couldn't afford the possible traffic generated by those downloads.

Any help is appreciated!

Thanks,

Marcel