[OSM-legal-talk] Regarding community guidelines for map layers

Preet prismatic.project at gmail.com
Tue Nov 4 15:47:10 UTC 2014

Hi,

The community guidelines for map layers [1] states:

"If there are restaurants in the OpenStreetMap layer and you add additional
restaurants in another layer, but you include only those restaurants not
present in the OpenStreetMap layer so that the restaurant layers will
complement each other, then the layers for this feature are interacting and
the restaurants added in your non-OpenStreetMap layer must be shared"

I don't understand how this falls under the share alike terms of the odbl.
If I have two separate databases with restaurant feature data (say the
first is from OSM, and the second is under a non-obdl compatible license),
and I combine the two to display restaurants in an application, why would
that require me to share the second database?

Aren't two separate databases an example of collective databases?

Is the argument that selectively deciding what to show in a produced work
from a 'closed' database by comparing against an odbl licensed database
somehow imposes that the closed database must also be odbl? Or maybe that
if the type of data in two separate databases is 'close enough', they
constitute a single database?

Preet

[1] -
http://www.osmfoundation.org/wiki/License/Community_Guidelines/Horizontal_Map_Layers_-_Guideline