[OSM-legal-talk] License Working Group news

Paul Norman penorman at mac.com
Tue Nov 18 21:46:32 UTC 2014

On 11/18/2014 10:11 AM, Luis Villa wrote:

> On Mon, Nov 17, 2014 at 11:18 AM, Michael Collinson <mike at ayeltd.biz
> <mailto:mike at ayeltd.biz>> wrote:
>
>     I would also like to highlight that we also now welcome associate
>     members who can help us occassionally or want to work on a
>     specific topic that fires you up. This involves no specific
>     formalities nor duties.
>

> Hi, Mike, others-
> Is there a formal description somewhere of the roles/responsibilities
> of the WG? That would help me evaluate to what extent (if at all) I
> can participate in WG activities.
The scope of the LWG is listed at
http://wiki.osmfoundation.org/wiki/Licensing_Working_Group

The day to day work is answering routine license enquiries, generally by
pointing to osm.org/copyright, the guidelines, or the FAQ. That's not
particularly where help is needed - not that more help would be minded -
it's the larger items we'd like to take on.

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1BWn372ow_1tnTdQja76mthS8V-ZQ5PCL_RWLR1CBzkw/pub
has some of the work we'd like to take on in the near future.

We haven't worked out a precise framework for the scope of individual
associate members - it's not expected that all associate members would
participate in all parts of the LWG's work.

If associate members not having a vote would allow people to help who
would otherwise be in a conflict of interest, that could be done too.

If you have any suggestions, none of this is set in stone.