[OSM-legal-talk] Using description from wikipedia text (Tom Gregorovic)

Luis Villa lvilla at wikimedia.org
Sun Oct 19 22:18:26 UTC 2014

On Sun, Oct 19, 2014 at 1:02 PM, Simon Poole <simon at poole.ch> wrote:

> Now the WMF has consistently supported that facts are not copyrightable,

Correct.

> so there should not be any danger there

Note that WMF is not the copyright holder in Wikipedia's content, so you of
course have to take WMF's position with a grain of salt when using
Wikipedia's content. But I'd be surprised if this was a problem, especially
in a situation like this one where it is particularly clear that what is
being used is the underlying fact rather than a copy of a specific
expression of the fact.

Luis
--
Luis Villa
Deputy General Counsel

*This message may be confidential or legally privileged. If you have
received it by accident, please delete it and let us know about the
mistake. As an attorney for the Wikimedia Foundation, for legal/ethical
reasons I cannot give legal advice to, or serve as a lawyer for, community
members, volunteers, or staff members in their personal capacity. For more
on what this means, please see our legal disclaimer
<https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wikimedia_Legal_Disclaimer>.*