[OSM-legal-talk] Contents Licence for OSM Data

Florian Lohoff f at zz.de
Thu Oct 30 19:51:42 UTC 2014

Hi,

On Wed, Oct 29, 2014 at 03:02:27PM +0100, Martin Koppenhoefer wrote:
> actually this would remove the virality from the license, a feature that
> was chosen on purpose to be included. The basic idea of share alike
> licenses is to "infect" other stuff that gets in contact with the
> share-alike content/data to become share-alike itself.

Share Alike is the expression for fear of abuse.

In my mind there cant be any abuse of OSM data. I want the OSM Data to be
available everywhere and anyone. And it needs to be a no brainer which it isnt
right now. For corporations its most of the time easier to spend 500K€ on a
commercial dataset than to spend 5k€ on a Lawyer analyzing a licensing issue.

ANY restriction is a problem for adoption as one can see e.g. from
the discussion about geocoding data.

Flo