[OSM-legal-talk] Use of OSM Data in Apple Maps

Martin Koppenhoefer dieterdreist at gmail.com
Fri Apr 10 08:22:01 UTC 2015

Sorry for crossposting to OSMF-talk, but this concerns also the foundation
at its core and the licensing mailing list seemed not interested in this
particular case when I started this thread there on 24th Nov 2014 right
after discovering that Apple is now also using ODbL data.

Somehow this thread must have passed unnoticed, so I try to revive it. I am
interested in hearing your thoughts about apple's public use of OSM data in
their "Maps" application (both on OS-X and iOS), at the same time both
under cc-by-sa 2.0 unported and ODbL, and together with a lot of
proprietary and free datasources. Has OSMF looked into this? Do we know
which part of their maps use ODbL data from OSM? I believe to recall that
representatives of OSMF have been talking to Apple, is there documentation
about the outcome, and where can I find it? Have there been attempts to
contact Apple after they added osm data which is under the ODbL (must have
been at some time last year)?

For reference, this is the start of the thread:
https://lists.openstreetmap.org/pipermail/legal-talk/2014-November/008056.html

Cheers,
Martin