[OSM-legal-talk] GADM license - any news?

Simone Aliprandi simone.aliprandi at gmail.com
Fri Aug 21 14:41:14 UTC 2015

I found an interesting dataset commonly called Berkely GADM
(http://www.gadm.org) and containing containing global administrative
areas.
It has a very pour and short license (or a "wannabe-license") that says:
- - - - - -
This dataset is freely available for academic and other non-commercial
use. Redistribution, or commercial use, is not allowed without prior
permission.
- - - - - -
It is really too vague. But it is quite clear that the "non
commercial" restriction makes this dataset not usefull for OSM.
In the http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Potential_Datasources page
of the OSM wiki I found a comment posted in 2009 that says:
- - - - - -
I'll investigate the part containing global administrative areas (but
called GADM). It seems to be very useful, because administrative
boundaries are missing for large parts of the world. One table in the
geodatabase (MS Access) contains information on copyright for every
country. I'll try to contact one of the persons at Berkeley, and ask
if they agree to lift the NC restriction for OSM.
- - - - - -
Do you know if any news have come in these six years? Do you know if
OSM received a sort of "direct permission" to include those data in
the OSM database?

Another interesting issue is that Naturalearthdata.com
(http://www.naturalearthdata.com/) includes the GADM dataset as a
source of data (see
http://www.naturalearthdata.com/downloads/10m-cultural-vectors/10m-admin-1-states-provinces/).
But Naturalearthdata.com release ALL ITS DATA as public domain. So...
something is missing in the workflow. Any ideas/suggestions?

Thanks very much. Simone

--
Simone Aliprandi - http://www.aliprandi.org | http://www.array.eu