[OSM-legal-talk] GADM license - any news?

Simon Poole simon at poole.ch
Tue Aug 25 23:08:14 UTC 2015

Am 25.08.2015 um 20:14 schrieb Tom Lee:

The main point is however that while we can pontificate as much as we
want that something might be legal in country X, Y or Z, it doesn't
really matter: for OSM to be useful in a country (and our goal is to be
useful in as many countries as possible, not just the US) at least the
data included from sources in that country (aka "the Government") has to
be legally obtained and licensed in such a way that we can distribute it
on ODbL terms.

My over used analogy: sure you can move to a country with lax copyright
laws and start copying Hollywood movies  in a big way, but you wont
actually have a product that you can market outside of that country at
the end of the day.

Back to GADM: it is not as if they generated the original borders
themselves, the primary sources are likely far easier to approach and
get permission from, particularly now that OSM is a lot better known
then a couple of years back. But IMHO that is something for the local
communities/mappers to engage in, not inflicted on them from good
intentioned outsiders.

Simon