[OSM-legal-talk] Can I publish Google Earth Pro images in a book?

Paul Norman penorman at mac.com
Fri Feb 6 03:05:24 UTC 2015

On 2/5/2015 6:39 PM, Kathy Bizzoco wrote:
> I've spent two days reading google's map copyright policies, and my
> head is so turned around, I don't know in which direction to look.
>
> Does anyone know if I can use images of Iraq and Baghdad, using Google
> Earth Pro (because it offers high resolution image download, which I
> need for printing), as long as I include the stated "attribution"
> (i.e. copyright clause) under each map?
This is the legal list for OpenStreetMap, so we're not in a position to
give advice on Google's licensing. My understanding is that the normal
Google map product licensing would forbid extracting imagery to put in a
book.

You may want to look at other imagery options such as purchasing from
vendors like DigitalGlobe. If you are after lower resolution, sources
like Landsat are a good free option.