[OSM-legal-talk] OSM based GPS navigations and ODbl license of OSM data

Stephan Knauss osm at stephans-server.de
Thu Jan 8 03:44:24 UTC 2015

Hi Paul,

On 08.01.2015 10:31, Paul Norman wrote:
> On 1/7/2015 7:21 PM, Stephan Knauss wrote:
>> And an even harder time to get rid of the data in case of another
>> license change in the future.
> See
> http://osmfoundation.org/wiki/License#Can_third-party_ODbL-licenses_data_be_imported.3F.
> It works like any other imported data.

that's exactly the point. ODbL is not a suitable license for data being
imported into OSM.

Date being inserted under the contributor terms come with much more
freedom to be used by OSMF (and the membership deciding about the open
license used) with respect to the license chosen for distribution.

So what happens is that a user enters data to OSM (with CT agreed), then
data is distributed as ODbL by OSMF. Then extended by 3rd party.

That extended data i now less free to use from an OSM point of view.

For OSM it would be much more convenient when the license says "You are
allowed to use the OSM data, but when you change it you give OSM the
right to merge back your changes if they want to".

Probably we should adjust the license one more time before too much
incompatible data is being imported.

And I'm asking for stricter regulations considering imports. Data not
compatible with future license changes must not be imported at all.
Other mappers are building their changes on a weak foundation.

Maybe time to open a new thread as we're moving away from the original
point of satnav data being released to a generic discussion.

Stephan