[OSM-legal-talk] OSM based GPS navigations and ODbl license of OSM data

Tadeusz Knapik tadek12 at gmail.com
Thu Jan 8 08:49:47 UTC 2015

> For OSM it would be much more convenient when the license says "You are
> allowed to use the OSM data, but when you change it you give OSM the right
> to merge back your changes if they want to".

As far as I understand it, it works that way - if data is publicly used, it
has to be licensed under ODbL.

> Probably we should adjust the license one more time before too much
> incompatible data is being imported.
> And I'm asking for stricter regulations considering imports. Data not
> compatible with future license changes must not be imported at all. Other
> mappers are building their changes on a weak foundation.

Mappers will import as much as they can (caring for their neighbourhood's
presence), and when in doubt will import until they can - we've seen this
already. And who's gonna tell you what the future licenses are?
ODbL is not perfect, but it's CTs that made things more messy, especially
they have changed over time (funny thing, huh? do you know which data is
under which CTs?). And they make sure that "you have the right to authorize
OSMF to use and distribute those Contents under our current licence terms",
and then OSMF "may only use or sub-license Your Contents as part of a
database and only under the terms of one or more of the following licences:
ODbL 1.0 for the database and DbCL 1.0 for the individual contents of the
database; CC-BY-SA 2.0; or such other free and open licence (for example,
http://www.opendefinition.org/okd/) as may from time to time be chosen by a
vote of the OSMF membership and approved by at least a 2/3 majority vote of
active contributors". So you give OSMF right to change the license for data
you were able to import under (currently) ODbL, even though you may not be
entitled to grant them this right (if you're importing something).
So it's just one big bag of data with messy licensing hardcoded in. I doubt
you will succeed in any actions you've stated above.
Regards,

Tadeusz