[OSM-legal-talk] missing attribution for use of OSM data

Richard Weait richard at weait.com
Mon Jan 26 14:55:25 UTC 2015

On Mon, Jan 26, 2015 at 7:38 AM, Robin Paulson <robin at bumblepuppy.org> wrote:
> hi folks,
> auckland, new zealand has a council-controlled website which is used for
> route planning on public transport.

[ ... ]

> we are confident the data is from osm. assuming it is, what are the best
> steps to take?

[ ... ]

> What the world needs now, is love sweet love

Dear Robin,

There are many approaches available, and the personal style and biases
of the mapper plays a role.

You might start with a note to the contact email of the sites, and a
polite description of the problem as you see it.  Providing a link to
an example of good attribution, and to the technical details of how to
implement it would be a nice touch as well.  A further positive,
friendly step would be to offer to coach them and answer questions
they might have as well.

That's not far off from the approach often used in cases I'm aware of.
It's pretty close to the approach I've used most often for folks who
have missed attribution for the first time.  When I was following up
on these sort of things for the License Working Group, the response
was usually prompt with a friendly and positive result for everybody
involved.

Best regards and happy mapping,

Richard