[OSM-legal-talk] Using a WMS imagery with CC-BY4.0

Simon Poole simon at poole.ch
Mon Jul 13 10:09:26 UTC 2015

Ivan

The problem is that it is a legal can of worms. I would suggest simply
asking for explicit permission, or at least formal confirmation that
tracing from the imagery does not create a derivative work and that the
government has no rights in such vectorized data.

It is, as you may have seen from previous discussions, not clear if the
CC 4.0 licences are compatible (with the exception of CC0 naturally)
with the ODbL and this is likely not an issue that will be resolved
short term.

Simon