[OSM-legal-talk] Using OSM data without modifying - are there any guidelines?

Tom Lee tlee at mapbox.com
Fri Jun 26 14:55:01 UTC 2015

> As the name of this list says it is "legal talk" (aka yapping without consequence)
... not "get-help-from-the-OSMF"

I'm sorry to see this practice discouraged. The archive description[1] says
this is "the list for discussion of all legal matters relating to
Openstreetmap, including licensing and copyright" and the archives are full
of people asking questions about attribution, virality and  transformation.

Simon, is there a place where guidance issued from the
@osmfoundation.org addresses
you list is made public? It seems like it could benefit others who find
themselves with similar questions; it may also be relevant to resolving
legal questions that are discussed elsewhere.

On point 3 of Jan Erik's question: I've seen a few projects where staleness
is not a concern and snapshots of OSM data can be used, affording ID
stability. So I think it's probably worth talking this scenario through. As
I noted elsewhere[2], EU and US law don't seem to make database IDs
eligible for copyright (or associated license requirements), at least when
their reproduction is associated with the lawful use of the relevant
database. So I think you'd be find in this scenario.

But I agree with Simon that your proposed implementation is going to come
to grief because of ID instability. You might want to take a look at
OpenLR[3], which is designed to solve problems similar to this one. Alas,
it's not trivial to use, so I'm not sure if it would offer your users many
benefits over the geographic information you're already storing.

Tom

2: https://lists.openstreetmap.org/pipermail/talk/2015-June/073250.html
3: http://www.openlr.org/