[OSM-legal-talk] Using OSM to geocode commercial data

Charles Henck cjhenck at live.com
Mon Mar 9 16:24:39 UTC 2015

Hello all,I work for a company that has a system that allows customers to request location-specific information.  E.g. they can drop a request a specific latitude and longitude, and those requests are then answered by users of our app.  I just want to clarify that my understanding is correct based on the current license and the proposed guidelines.Q: Would using OSM data to get the app users' countries from their latitude and longitude (to find nearby tasks) require us to open our database for redistribution?
It seems like this probably would not, by any standard, since we don't even store the data.Q: More confusingly, if we used OSM to get the geocode a latitude/longitude (or reverse geocode an address) for a dropped request, would the database of requests (and private responses) be open?
My understanding is that the database of locations<->geocodes would need to be made available to others, or alternatively that the locations would be a produced work and that we should place a copyright on the map displaying the data.
Thanks for your help!Justin