[OSM-legal-talk] When does a produced work has to be share-alike?

Frederik Ramm frederik at remote.org
Sun Mar 29 16:48:16 UTC 2015

Hi,

On 03/29/2015 05:43 PM, Lars-Daniel Weber wrote:
> In Illustrator, I could load a SVG created by qGIS with OSM data. I could only *link* to this SVG only without embedding it. So it's in a complete seperate file / XML DB, which can't or doesn't have to be edited. Now I could add other layers with my own streets or even with data under a properity license. When storing the new file, the OSM-data doesn't get changed anymore.

Provided that you don't edit your "other" data set based on the OSM data
you now see on the screen ("uh, this road is now there twice, let me
remove it..." etc.)

> Sure, I have to release the SVG file or the workflow under share-alike, that's fine so far. But when I press "export to PDF", will this be an intermidiate database, which also has to be share-alike?

I don't have enough information to say whether the PDF will be a
produced work or a database, but even if it were a database, it could be
a "collective database" in which case share-alike would only apply to
the ODbL part inside.

Bye
Frederik