[OSM-legal-talk] What extra permissions are needed to include CC-BY data in OSM

Andrew Harvey andrew.harvey4 at gmail.com
Tue May 5 09:27:31 UTC 2015

I'm bringing up a conversation from talk-au pertaining to what
additional permissions we need from content owners in order to include
or use as a source to derive further information from their CC-BY
licensed data in OSM.

Any advice is very much appreciated.

On 16 April 2015 at 15:26, Paul Norman <penorman at mac.com> wrote:
> On 4/15/2015 6:01 AM, Ross wrote:
>> The issue is not with the licence.  The current terms and conditions require permission to add data not owned by the contributor.
>
> This is incorrect. An appropriate license is sufficient. Some obviously appropriate licenses are CC0, PDDL, ODC-BY and the ODbL itself.
>
> The issue is that CC BY (and BY-SA) 2.0, 2.5 and 3.0 require a form of attribution that is not practical for most map uses, so we need permission. This would have been true even without the license change, as we were never meeting the requirements of those versions of CC BY.
>
> We have permission for many Australian sources, and I believe for all CC BY Australian sources that were in use at the time of the license change.

My question was does CC-BY 4.0 have the same issue? Could CC-BY 4.0
data be included in OSM.

Secondly, what specific permission do we need to include CC-BY 3.0 or
4.0 data in OSM? Do we essentially need the data supplier to agree to
CC0 plus attribution in some specific form requested by OSMF? Is there
a sample legal agreement or text for this?

The release of government spatial data in Australia is continuing to
expand to more and more agencies who are releasing under CC-BY, and it
would be great if we had an OSMF approved license agreement or such we
can present to these agencies so that hopefully these CC-BY datasets
can be potentially used in some form in OSM.