[OSM-legal-talk] What extra permissions are needed to include CC-BY data in OSM

Simon Poole simon at poole.ch
Wed May 6 09:25:44 UTC 2015

Am 05.05.2015 um 11:27 schrieb Andrew Harvey:
> My question was does CC-BY 4.0 have the same issue? Could CC-BY 4.0
> data be included in OSM.

My, very conservative, reading of CC-BY 4.0 would indicate that it has
additional issues over just the attribution problem for databases.

CC-BY 4.0 contains the following (4.b):

"if You include all or a substantial portion of the database contents in
a database in which You have Sui Generis Database Rights, then the
database in which You have Sui Generis Database Rights (but not its
individual contents) is Adapted Material; and"

"Adapted Material" is essentially a derivative Work, or using ODbL terms
a derivative database. The CC-BY terms would however seem to make it
impossible to create an ODbL collective database from an OSM dataset
including CC-BY material.

Simon