[OSM-legal-talk] Proposed "Metadata"-Guideline

Frederik Ramm frederik at remote.org
Fri Oct 2 22:34:19 UTC 2015

(initially sent from from address, sorry)

Hi,

On 10/02/2015 06:31 PM, Michael Steffen wrote:
>> ~~=== Examples of where you DO need to share your non-OpenStreetMap data
>
>> ~~* you own a database of restaurant star ratings, you publish a product
>> ~~that provides one dataset that uses ratings from OSM when you don’t have
>> ~~it in your database and otherwise your data. The data that you publish
>> ~~is subject to sharealike. Note: if you don’t use the relevant OSM
>> ~~attributes and just your data, your data is not subject to sharealike as
>> ~~defined in the “Horizontal Layers” guideline. Note this is a
>> ~~hypothetical use case and not an actual one.~~
>
> I recommend striking the paragraph above:

I agree that the example sounds a bit too contrived; but simply striking
it out without a replacement makes the document much less useful.

I'd suggest the following as a replacement:

"You publish a mobile navigation app with a restaurant directory taken
from OpenStreetMap, using the wheelchair attribute from OSM to flag some
restaurants as wheelchair accessible. You allow your users to report
back the wheelchair status they observed locally, and you collect that
information in a separate data set, keyed by the OSM ID of the
restaurant. Your application queries the database in a way that your
user reports override the information taken from OSM, but for
restaurants where you don't have user reports, the OSM information is used."

Bye
Frederik