[OSM-legal-talk] Legal status of certain mapping activities

Frederik Ramm frederik at remote.org
Wed Sep 16 19:30:53 UTC 2015

Lukas,

   IMHO a single fact is not copyrightable so if you take details about
the POI from the web site run by the POI operator themselves, you should
be fine.

However if you take the same information from a collection (your
difference between 4 and 1), then the maintainer of that collection
could potentially claim database rights, *especially* if the collective
of OSM editors uses that source in more that one case and therefore they
could say that we "repeatedly extract" data.

So I'd say 1 is a problem but 4 is not.

> Case 2:
> Assuming the website of the POI is showing a picture of the POI itself. Is it legal/desired to look for the POI on aerial imagery and determine the correct building, e.g. by outline, surroundings, or roof-color? (Case 2a: Aerial imagery is from Bing; Case 2b: Aerial imagery is from another service mentioned above.)

To be safe I'd try and stick to Bing imagery altough it would probably
be hard to prove you've looked at non-Bing.

> If the building where the POI is situated is not present in the OSM database yet, but the person who wants to add the POI knows its exact position, is it legal/desirable that the POI is added anyway?

Sure, buildings to hold the POI are not required.

Bye
Frederik