[OSM-legal-talk] Trouble understanding the "Derivative database" implications

Lych lychbox at gmail.com
Fri Jan 29 13:56:35 UTC 2016

Hello,

We're considering using OSM in our company, I’m having trouble understanding the "Derivative database » implications.
Here is the case: we wish to use OSM POIs, say restaurants, and then enrich them with our data, say restaurant menus. If I understood well, I’m in case #3 here <http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/License/Use_Cases> and it becomes a « derivative database ».

I’m OK with attribution.
I’m OK with enriching and getting back to OSM anything that I took from OSM: updating opening hours, correcting addresses, new names of restaurant, adding missing restaurants…
I’m NOT OK with sharing the part of our database that is restaurant menus, which would be the asset of my company.

Is it what I’m supposed to do or is ODbL only related to data we took originally?

http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Legal_FAQ#3b._If_I_have_data_derived_from_OSM_data.2C_do_I_have_to_distribute_it.3F <http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Legal_FAQ#3b._If_I_have_data_derived_from_OSM_data.2C_do_I_have_to_distribute_it.3F>
	Here it says that we have to make available "The 'diff' between the original OSM data, and your derived database », in my opinion that’s my second bullet point and if it’s only that, I’m totally OK with it.

Our goal is to protect our asset, not avoid giving back to the community.

Many thanks for any input, I’m lost!

Fizz