[OSM-legal-talk] MAPS.ME combining OSM data and non-OSM data?

Christoph Hormann chris_hormann at gmx.de
Sat Jul 9 07:18:02 UTC 2016

On Friday 08 July 2016, Ilya Zverev wrote:

> If the LWG decides we are violating the license (and explains how,
> maybe producing another guidelines), we will remove all OSM hotels
> from our data. But for now I don't see how it's different from
> removing just some of the hotels.

I think this is a fairly clear case for the Horizontal Layers guideline
and Simon also made a statement in that direction.  Of course as always
this is a matter of interpretation.

I would also suggest to keep in mind that in principle this is exactly
the kind of case share-alike was created for - the OSM database is
missing some hotels and some other database contains them and the
intention is that you need to make available that other data or the
merger of the two data sets for inclusion in OSM if you want to use
them in combination.

If your use of the booking.com data is not about hotels missing from OSM
but only about the additional info booking.com provides (link to
booking page and other metadata for example) the new collective
database guideline gives you another option: you can match this
metadata with the OSM POIs and use them together without share-alike.
You however must not show any hotels that are not in OSM then or make
their coordinates available under compatible license.

--
Christoph Hormann
http://www.imagico.de/