[OSM-legal-talk] FYI Collective Database Guideline

Simon Poole simon at poole.ch
Thu Jun 9 15:47:52 UTC 2016

Am 09.06.2016 um 17:36 schrieb Simon Poole:

> Am 09.06.2016 um 17:06 schrieb Robert Whittaker (OSM lists):
>> Also (and it may be deliberate) this guideline doesn't address the
>> question of what filtering / querying you can do with your collective
>> database. For instance, under the guideline I can take OSM restaurant
>> data, and add third-party ratings data to each entry, and it will be a
>> collective database. But what if I then do a query that returns the
>> locations of restaurants that have >4* ratings in a certain area and
>> just show those to users? Is this filtered dataset -- including the
>> ratings used to create it -- subject to share-alike, or is it still a
>> collective database of OSM restaurant names and locations, together
>> with independent ratings?
> I don't quite see the problem:
>
> - the OSM component of a Collective Database retains its licensing terms
> regardless of what you do with it.
> - if you don't create a database, you don't create a database. As the
> ODbL states you can use a Collective Database to create a Produced Work
> without creating an intermediate Derivative Database, typically on the
> fly generated results for display purposes will be Produced Works.
> - if you created a dataset from the filtered results and publicly used
> it, yes, likely you would have to honour a request for the OSM
> component  (which naturally would implicitly contain the information
> where those 4* restaurants are) TANSTAAFL.
>
> Simon

Small further note: the Collective Database guidelines assumes the same
as we do in the "Region Extract" guideline, that the geographic extent
of a OSM extract to not invoke share-alike/be a Derivative Database has
to be at least country size, that would naturally apply in your example
too, so creating smaller extracts would fall afoul of this rule.

Simon