[OSM-legal-talk] seeking understanding of usage of geocoding and POI

Karel Mikan karel.mikan at gmail.com
Sun Jun 12 09:28:25 UTC 2016

Frederik,

thank you very much for your answers, I highly appreciate the time you took
to help me understand some of our questions.

I am sorry, if some of them came across as trying to share the absolute
minimum. We are completely fine to share any data that can improve OSM
itself. I just need to build plans on solid understanding of how using OSM
will impact the customer own data. I think that everyone gains more if we
share back, than if we don't use the service, because of potential risk to
other data (that is not even useful to OSM, but only to potential
competition - we always have to assume that the customer will share their
data with someone else=public).

We were actually looking in using some providers. Yet quite a few of them
have at some point somewhere written that either they route with OSM or use
the maps or build the whole system on it. They just don't seem to say
anything too direct about what happens to their customers' data due to
ODbL. You have to dig through their legal terms first and at some point you
get to a page where it says what they base their services on, and then you
still need to understand the ODbL.

If there is any chance you or someone would still consider giving their
opinion on the remaining questions after Q4, we would highly appreciate
that. Again, it is not to find a way to share the bare minimum, but to
share the right data.

Simon,
Thanks for further clarification. It might be FUD, but building something
on a base that we might have to stop using at some point, because of not
doing our due dilligence wouldn't be too economical.

Thanks,
Karel