[OSM-legal-talk] Australian Government Data from data.gov.au

Simon Poole simon at poole.ch
Tue Jun 28 10:51:21 UTC 2016

The explicit permission that we received was for data released directly
by the Australian government, it is unclear if that could apply to data
that they have licensed from a third party for distribution which seems
to be the case here.

CC by 4.0 reduced the requirements on attribution compared to earlier
versions and people have argued that the indirect attribution
(OpenStreetMap -> osm.org -> original datasource) might be enough to
satisfy them, however I would suggest getting explicit permission from
either PSMA or

Department of the Prime Minister and Cabinet
spatial at pmc.gov.au <mailto:spatial at pmc.gov.au>

to be on the safe side.

The further issue I see, is with the additional privacy principles that
must be followed. We cannot restrict how our data is used outside of the
ODbL terms. While we might not be adding personal information,
downstream that may well happen.

A possible workaround might be for either PSMA or pmc.gov.au to identify
which datasets are touchy and not import/use them (and lift the
additional terms for the remaining datasets).

Simon