[OSM-legal-talk] licenses suitable for import

Tobias Wendorff tobias.wendorff at tu-dortmund.de
Sun Mar 13 19:27:01 UTC 2016

Dear list,

could you please recommend me licenses for releasing data to ODbL?
>From my point of view, compatible licenses are CC-license without
"SA" and "BY" and (only if possible) CC0 and PD or finally special
license, like the following one:

Some crporations like "Deutsche Bahn" (the biggest rail corporation
in Germany) has released their data under CC BY 4.0 with a special text
for OpenStreetMap (roughly translated):

"If the data of Deutsche Bahn is part of the OpenStreetMap database work,
a reference to the Deutsche Bahn AG in the list of contributors is enough.
Crediting DB at each use of the data by a licensee of the mentioned database
work is no longer necessary then. Indirect credits (with reference to the
publisher of this databse work, which refers to the DB) is sufficient."

Actually, that's a kind of dual-licensing with a special license for OSM.
>From my understanding, releasing data ODbL would be the worst thing,
since the "BY" attribution of the data donator isn't compatible, is it?

Thanks
Tobias