[OSM-legal-talk] Do overlays have to be released under ODbL?

Simon Poole simon at poole.ch
Sun Mar 13 20:20:16 UTC 2016

Am 13.03.2016 um 19:31 schrieb Tobias Wendorff:
> Am So, 13.03.2016, 16:49 schrieb Simon Poole:
>> I wrote the opposite.
> Is my English that bad? Perhaps you can read German, perhaps anyone
> else can. That's what my brain has translated from your writing:
>
> "Es behandelt genau den Fall, dass du deine Fremddaten zur Generierung
> eines OSM-Ausschnitt verwenden kannst, der deine Dateien nicht
  ^kannst^könntest
> beinhaltet, wobei eine Ergänzung deiner Daten erzeugt wird, welche
> die Verbesserung der Abdeckung für ein bestimmtes Feature erlaubt,
> ohne diese gleich dem Share-Alike zu unterwerfen."
^gleich^

> Is this the correct translation?
See above. the basic issue is that you are confusing a description of
the problem that the guideline covers with the rule itself.

Another try: the guideline addresses the issue of using third party data
for specific objects together with OSM data. It says essentially that
you either need to use all OSM data for the objects in question or all
3rd party data.

But there is an implicit assumption in the guideline that your goal is a
de-duplicated set of such objects (even if just for display purposes) it
doesn't really address any other situation.

Simon