[OSM-legal-talk] QLD Department of Natural Resources and Mines Data

cleary osm at 97k.com
Sun Oct 9 02:14:31 UTC 2016

It is the way bureaucrats say no. They are saying "These are the terms
under which you can use it and it's up to you to comply."  (Which
unfortunately we can't.)

That's sort of response I got when I first tried to get permission to
use LPI data in NSW. I got quite frustrated by the bureaucrats who
either seemed to treat the data as their own possession and begrudged
anyone else using it, or they may have been incapable or impotent in
their organisations.  I was once a bureaucrat (but nothing to do with
mapping etc)  and I have some insights into how the system works (in
Australia, at least).

As the bureaucrats are being unhelpful, I think it's worth approaching
the all-powerful decision-maker. This would be the Queensland Government
Minister who is responsible for the particular Government Department.

I'd suggest writing to the Minister (see
https://www.dnrm.qld.gov.au/our-department/about-us/minister-for-natural-resources-and-mines)
(or, if you are a Queensland resident (i.e voter), you might think it
worth writing to your local member and asking him/her to approach the
Minister on your behalf - especially if the local member is of the same
political party as the Minister).

You need to keep it brief as politicians have short attention-spans.
Briefly explain (1) that you are requesting permission to use data and
specify the data; (2) what OSM is and its open licence, (3) why CC-BY
3.0 is a problem for OSM; (4) propose solution i.e. explicit permission
to use the relevant data with acknowledgement on the Contributors page
of the OSM Wiki and (5) you might mention that NSW and SA have given
such permission without any apparent problems in those jurisdictions,
and point to the relevant sections of the Contributors page on the Wiki.
Be respectful and brief to get best response.

I'd be happy to review a draft with you, if that would help. It's worth
the effort. However sometimes, you get only one opportunity and so it's
important to try to get it right in the first submission. Otherwise we
may have to wait for a new minister before trying again.

Links:

   1. https://www.dnrm.qld.gov.au/legal/privacy
   2. https://www.dnrm.qld.gov.au/legal/copyright
   3. https://www.dnrm.qld.gov.au/legal/disclaimer