[OSM-legal-talk] Licence compatibility: Open Data Licence for The Regional Municipality of Peel (Version 1.0)

Stewart Russell scruss at gmail.com
Fri Sep 9 23:38:05 UTC 2016

https://www.scribd.com/document_downloads/265440465?extension=pdf&from=embed&source=embed
> page 48 and following.

Uh oh, so does that mean the UK Postcode database is back closed/was never
really open? This is a little troubling for us in Canada, as Canada Post
has been pulling stunts like threatening a crowdsourced postal code (as we
call 'em) database with legal action. This suit has been withdrawn, but
leaves a whole mess of unanswered questions.

But back to the Region of Peel. I've cc'd Kevin, who is Peel's open data
champion and active as a mapper and on talk-ca. He asked me if there were
example requests you could maybe point to that have been used in the past.
I was thinking something roughly along the lines of:

OSM volunteers in Ontario wish to incorporate the following data sets
kindly provided by Region of Peel under the [full_name_of_Peel_licence]
licence:

1) building outlines for Caledon;
2) address points.

We seek permission to republish these data under the ODbL, as used by OSM.
We would like to have clarification that:

a) the licence termination on breach clause can be relaxed regarding
unlawful use. Once data are in OSM, we have no control over users'
application of the data; and
b) that Region of Peel can confirm that all rights to the open data sets
are held by the Region, and that no third party databases have been used to
derive the data sets.

Is that roughly what a request looks like? I know that the address points
are very likely developed internally by Peel (and there are no Postal Codes
included) but the building outlines may have been derived from third-party
LIDAR or orthophotos.

Best Wishes,
 Stewart