[OSM-legal-talk] Series of maps for Angola

Simon Poole simon at poole.ch
Tue Jan 24 11:53:23 UTC 2017

Marcus

I'm not quite sure if there is a real issue. If you derive the
boundaries you use from OSM, yes it is unlikely that it is
non-substantial if you are using them for a whole country and the result
is likely subject to share alike.

However that only requires you to make the your modified data available
on ODbL terms,it does not require that you have to use whatever changes
somebody else makes to that dataset. Any third party sources you use for
improving the boundaries would however have to be compatible with the
ODbL 1.0.

So it is quite possible for you to retain a "master copy" of whatever
you think the language boundaries are. Naturally if you have
improvements to the admin boundaries and your source is ODbL compatible
(which it should be, see above) it might make sense to include such
improvements directly into OSM.

As has been already been suggested the alternative is to not use OSM
boundaries at all and a third party source (which I doubt exists as open
data globally).

Simon