[OSM-legal-talk] Draft Geocoding Guideline

Simon Poole simon at poole.ch
Fri Jun 2 07:14:39 UTC 2017

One of the larger items the LWG has been working on this year is an
attempt to provide more clarity on how our licence works with respect
to  geocoding. As some of you know this is a fairly controversial topic
and a number of different approaches have been suggested and discussed
in the past.

We have produced a draft document
https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Draft_Geocoding_Guideline that is
open for comments, either here on the mailing list or on the talk page
of the document. We intend to let this consultation phase run to the end
of this month. It is very likely that there a some formatting errors
introduced by wikifying the documents, please simply point them out to
me in e-mail.

I would like to thank everybody on the LWG for support in getting this
done, but particularly Michael Steffen for taking the lead on this and
doing the heavy lifting in actually writing the drafts and FAQ.

Simon