[OSM-legal-talk] Taiwan Open Government Data License

Simon Poole simon at poole.ch
Tue May 16 18:25:45 UTC 2017

Good to see that 6.3 at least raised half an eye brow with the OKFN,
they seem to however chosen the most harmless interpretation possible,
my reading would be that it could be equivalent to a hold
harmless/indemnification clause. Now for probably 99.9% of OKFNs
audience the concerns are probably irrelevant, but OpenStreetMap:

- does useful things with the data

- distributes the data as Open Data further so that other people and
organisations can do useful things with it

Useful things include maps, routing and so on. As a result the exposure
to something going wrong can be quite large, and the scenario in which
the "Data Providing Organisation" makes a pay out to a US Tourist suing
everybody in sight for whatever mishap and then tries to recover the
money by trying to get it from us is not so far fetched. Article 184 is
naturally fairly standard fare as legislation goes, but I'm at a bit of
a loss seeing were that ties in to the 2nd part of 6.3 which would make
us liable for damage claims that we could not directly defend ourselves
against.

Simon