[OSM-legal-talk] Usage of OSM Data in a Game as Part of an Image (Splatmap) or for editing a 3D model

Michael Donning wombatstampede at yahoo.de
Thu Apr 19 09:15:25 UTC 2018

Hi all!
I am hoping to be able to use OSM Data in some spots for my game. I am
wading through the sources and use cases but this topic seems to become more
and more complicated.

The question arises which data might fall under the SA aspect of the license
and if that is the case how to eventually extract that data to be available
to SA.
Crediting OSM in the game is self-understanding and the probably the
simplest part.

Situation:
The game is potentially commercial. It contains programs, images and 3d
models in a kind of compiled form.

It is not open source and I don't plan to make all game data publicly
available.

Use case #1: Use of OSM data in bitmaps/pictures:
I want to extract I.e. the shape of streets from OSM (with tools like QGIS)
and plot them to an image. This image is then later "hand-"edited in a
picture/pixel editor and used for appying a "road" texture on a 3d model.
The term for this is a "splat map".

I read about the term "Produced Work". What does this implicate? Is
crediting OSM enough or do I need to make this image file publically
available because of SA?

Use case #2: Use of OSM data to alter 3D models:
I have a 3D model which was created based from LIDAR/DTM Data under the UK
OpenGovernmentLicense.
I want to extract/query I.e. the shape of a river from OSM and cut that
shape out of the 3D model (using a 3D Editor, i.e. Blender).

Is that 3D model (think of files in wavefront/obj or collada/dae format) a
database licensewise? Do I have to share the whole 3D model because of SA,
or do I need to "only" share the OSM part by removing all non-osm data and
only providing the cut out "hole" in 3D format?

If this becomes too complicated I may still have the chance to switch over
using the british "OS OpenMap - Local" but it would still be much better &
easier to be able to use the best of both.

Thank you for reading and your ideas about this.

Michael Donning